Trucker Insurance!

Call (702) 541-0882 for insurance quotes

Your last step to get your authority is to get insurance on your truck. To save on your insurance, call us early in the process. We can save you time and money. Plus it will give me time to shop your insurance by the time your authority becomes active. We will do that at several carriers.

Another time period for your to know is once you have had your authority for three years, your insurance options go way up.

Call (702) 541-0882 for commercial trucking insurance quotes. We make shopping for trucker insurance easy because we do all the shopping at no extra cost to you.

Truckers are the third largest motorist group using Nevada’s highways, after commuters and tourists. Trucking is different than driving around the city in a work van. Drivers often haul a large amount of merchandise or materials, across state lines, for long hours. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) — the governing body over trucking — requires certain insurance minimums needed by owners before their trucks can even hit the road.

In addition to filing an application for operating authority, all applicants for motor carrier, freight forwarder, and broker authorities must have specific insurance and legal process agent documents on file before the FMCSA will issue the authorities. The required filings vary, based on the types of registrations involved. Below is a list of pre-registration forms, followed by an explanation of which types of registrants are subject to filing those forms. 

Liability and cargo insurance forms must be submitted directly (online) by the home office of the insurance company furnishing the coverage. I need to know what authority you while I to create the right insurance documents for you.


Motor Carrier of Property (except Household Goods)

An authorized for-hire Motor Carrier that transports regulated commodities (except household goods) for the general public in exchange for payment. Motor Carriers of Property (except Household Goods) must file proof of public liability (bodily injury and property damage — BI & PD) with FMCSA in order to obtain interstate Operating Authority. Cargo insurance is not required.

Motor Carrier of Household Goods (Moving Companies) 

An authorized for-hire Motor Carrier that transports only household goods for the general public in exchange for payment. Household goods are personal items that will be used in a home. They include items shipped from a factory or store, if purchased with the intent to use in a home, and transported at the request of the householder who pays for the transportation charges. Motor Carriers of Household Goods must file proof of both public liability (BI & PD) and cargo insurance with FMCSA in order to obtain interstate Operating Authority.

Broker of Property (except Household Goods) 

An individual, partnership, or corporation that receives payment for arranging the transportation of property (excluding household goods) belonging to others by using an authorized Motor Carrier. A Broker does not assume responsibility for the property and never takes possession of it.

Broker of Household Goods 

An individual, partnership, or corporation that receives payment for arranging the transportation of household goods belonging to others by using an authorized Motor Carrier. A Broker does not assume responsibility for the household goods and never takes possession of the goods. Household goods are personal items and property that will be used in a home.  An individual, partnership or corporation requires registration as a household goods broker if the motor carrier providing transportation will also provide some or all of the following additional services, binding and nonbinding estimates, inventorying, protective packing and unpacking of individual items at personal residences and loading and unloading at personal residences.

United States-based Enterprise Carrier of International Cargo (except Household Goods)  

A company that transports international cargo (excluding household goods) and is headquartered in the United States, but is owned or controlled (greater than 55%) by a Mexican citizen or resident alien. International cargo must originate in or be destined for a foreign country.

United States-based Enterprise Carrier of International Household Goods  

A company that transports international household goods and is headquartered in the United States, but is owned or controlled (greater than 55%) by a Mexican citizen or resident alien. Household goods are personal items that will be used in a home. They include items shipped from a factory or store, if purchased with the intent to use in a home, and transported at the request of the householder who pays for the transportation charges. International household goods must originate in or be destined for a home in a foreign country. Applicants for authority to operate as motor carriers of household goods or freight forwarders of household goods also must offer arbitration as a means of settling loss and damage disputes on collect-on-delivery shipments. (See 49 U.S.C. 14708.)

Other Authorities

  • Freight Forwarder Authority 
  • Motor Passenger Carrier Authority
  • Non-North America-Domiciled Motor Carriers
  • Mexico-based Carriers for Motor Carrier Authority to Operate Beyond U.S. Municipalities and Commercial Zones on the U.S.-Mexico Border (Includes instructions and application in Spanish)
  • Mexican Certificate of Registration for Foreign Motor Carriers and Foreign Motor Private Carriers Under 49 U.S.C. 13902

Last updated: Thursday, November 2, 2017

The type(s) of Operating Authority requested will impact the type and level of insurance that is required by FMCSA. Therefore, carefully select only the type(s) of Operating Authority relevant to the business and read the instructions before filing. 

According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), commercial trucking companies must obtain an interstate operating authority number if they meet certain criteria. The interstate operating authority number, also known as an MC number, is in addition to the requirement of obtaining a Department of Transportation (DOT) number.

To learn more go to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (dot.gov).

The FMCSA monitors and ensures compliance with regulations governing both safety (all carriers) and commerce (for-hire carriers). Companies may find they are subject to both registration requirements (USDOT Number and MC Number) or either one separately.

Applicants should be prepared to contact their agents to request filing of the required forms immediately after obtaining their designated docket number. Applicants are cautioned to ensure that the name and address of the business as set out in all pre-registration filings match exactly the name and address provided in their application for operating authority filings. Any deviation will result in rejection of the supplemental pre-registration filings.

Liability and cargo insurance forms must be submitted directly (online) by the home office of the insurance company furnishing the coverage. The type(s) of Operating Authority requested will impact the type and level of insurance that is required by FMCSA. Therefore, carefully select only the type(s) of Operating Authority relevant to the business and read the instructions before filing. Here are a few of the authority types for truckers:

Call (702) 541-0882 for An Business Auto Insurance Quote Today!


  • Bodily injury liability coverage – pays for bodily injury or death resulting from an accident for which you are at fault and provides you with a legal defense.
  • Property damage liability coverage – provides you with protection if your car accidentally damages another persons property. It also provides you with a legal defense.
  • Combined single limit (CSL) – Liability policies typically offer separate limits that apply to bodily injury claims for property damage. A combined single limits policy has the same dollar amount of coverage per covered occurrence whether bodily injury or property damage, one person or several.
  • Medical payments, no-fault or Personal Injury Coverage – usually pays for the medical expenses of the driver and passengers in your car incurred as a result of a covered accident regardless of fault.
  • Uninsured motorist coverage – pays for your injuries and, in some circumstances, certain property damage caused by an uninsured or a hit-and-run driver. In some cases, underinsured motorist coverage is also included. This is for cases in which the at-fault driver has insufficient insurance.
  • Comprehensive physical damage coverage – pays for damage to or replacement of your car from theft, vandalism, flood, fire, and other covered perils.
  • Collision coverage – pays for damage to your car when it hits or is hit by another object.
  • Inland Marine – If your business frequently ships products or equipment, you may want to consider purchasing inland marine insurance. This type of coverage is especially important if you ship high-value products or materials, which are often excluded from basic property coverage. Inland marine insurance can cover a wide range of specialty equipment and products, including:
  1. Computers, everything from servers to laptops.
  2. Communications and networking equipment.
  3. Construction and contracting equipment.
  4. Medical and scientific equipment.
  5. Photography equipment.

When weighing the need for inland marine insurance, consider the nature of your business and operations. Inland marine insurance isn’t just for companies that ship products to retailers and customers. For example, if you have a valuable tradeshow booth that is frequently shipped around the country and stored offsite by a vendor, you may want the protection provided by inland marine insurance. In addition, if someone else’s property is temporarily in your possession, inland marine insurance can provide coverage against the loss of this property. Special inland marine coverages include:

  • Motor Truck Cargo Coverage—Keeps clients’ goods protected while your business transports and delivers them and provides insurance on the freight or commodity hauled by a For-hire trucker. It covers your liability for cargo that is lost or damaged due to causes such as fire, collision, or striking of a load.
  • Bailee’s Customer Coverage—Protects clients’ property that is left in the care of your business; e.g., if you operate a warehouse or repair shop.
  • Builder’s Risk—Protects structures and materials during new construction projects or renovations.
  • Exhibition and Fine Art Coverage—Keeps valuable items protected while on exhibit, in transit or on loan.
  • Installation Floater—Covers materials from the moment they are loaded onto a truck until they are put to use or installed.


In any profession, here are some ways to get your commercial auto or trucking policy premium lower:

  • Hire drivers with flawless driving records. Verify at https://www.dmvnv.com
  • Always keep your payments current. Most carriers add late fees to late payments.
  • Think safe driving first – a speeding ticket can be expensive for several years
  • Implement and require safe driving classes for yourself and employees
  • Once you have had you CDL for a certain period of time, you may be able to get a discount

Protecting your trucking business or yourself as a for-hire trucker means insuring yourself properly. Whether you need primary truck insurance or need to add general liability, insurance doesn’t have to be an extraordinary expenditure — and adding it to your business costs could help you survive the financial burden of an accident or disaster.

Call (702) 541-0882 for An Business Auto Insurance Quote Today!



A large-scale motor vehicle loss can come at your business from any direction, but it doesn’t have to take your company off the road. While you stay focused on growing your business, we can help you protect it. Travelers can help you protect your business against large-scale losses, like these automotive judgments over $25 million that topped the National Law Journal’s Top 100 Verdicts.

National Law Journal Top 100 Verdicts of 2019/Travelers Insurance


It is time to be in charge of your own truck

Running your own truck and being in charge can be exciting and downright hard. With so much competing information available on the internet, it is hard to keep track of all the steps you need to follow. Getting your own motor carrier authority also requires some start-up cash, a lot of digging for information, and a real hard-core Type A Mentality.

I have talked to a lot of truckers and they all sound winded trying to figure out how to get this dream started. I put this together after a little research. I have been told that the entire process can take anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months.

Have at least 60 days of extra cash set aside to cover operating costs (fuel, repairs, etc.). If you’ve been an owner-operator for a while, you know it can take 30-45 days for an invoice to get paid. Be prepared by having operating cash on hand while you build up your business.


If you wish to incorporate, file your business with the state of Nevada — https://www.nvsos.gov

  • Talk to an accountant to determine how you are going to organize your business to maximize your financial and operational success.
  • Research Limited Liability Companies, (LLC), C Corporations, S Corporations, Partnerships, and Sole Proprietorships to make the right decision for your business.
  • Get an EIN by visiting the Internal Revenue Website Apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) Online | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov). You will need an EIN for tax purposes related to your business.


Get preapproved for primary liability and cargo insurance. If you wait until the end of the process to learn that your aren’t approved for the insurance to protect you in the event of an accident, you’ll have spent a lot of time and resources unnecessarily. Call (702) 541-0882 to get a commercial auto or trucking quote. We will help you complete the insurance requirement portion of your authority.


The first place to go to is apply for your authority. Go to this website Registration | FMCSA (dot.gov)


The FMCSA Safety and Fitness Electronic Records (SAFER) System offers company safety data and related services to industry and the public over the Internet.

Users can search FMCSA databases, register for a USDOT number, pay fines online, order company safety profiles, challenge FMCSA data using the DataQs system, access the Hazardous Material Route registry, obtain National Crash and Out of Service rates for Hazmat Permit Registration, get printable registration forms and find information about other FMCSA Information Systems.


When commercial drivers carry certain materials, the federal government requires them to show proof of financial responsibility. The document certifies the driver has liability and cargo insurance and carries the minimum coverage limits in their state. Federal and state agencies require filings to protect the public any damages from a motor vehicle used in a business.

The federal and state agencies make you aware of when you need the filings.

Authority is based on the cargo being carried, and some carriers need multiple authorities to cover multiple types of cargo.

Your insurance agent will need to know whether you are required by the DOT to carry any state or federal filings to operate their business.

Here are the insurance filing requirements for your specific filing.

Insurance Filing Requirements | FMCSA (dot.gov)

  • Do you need to carry a MC, ICC, or Form E?
  • Do you drive within one state to do business then you may need an intrastate or state filing. If you travel.
  • Do you travel among multiple states to do your job then you will need a federal or interstate filing.
  • Keep in mind it is not uncommon for a business to have to carry both a federal and a state filing.

Once the policy is issued, the insurance company is required to notify the the FMCSA. The time period of this completing is approximately 3 weeks after the policy is issued.


The following federal filings are required for businesses engaging in interstate trucking or transportation of specific cargo:

  • BMC-91 Filing: States there is enough Liability coverage to cover the increased risk of transporting goods or people across state lines.
  • MCS-90 Form: An endorsement that must be attached to Liability insurance and Cargo Liability insurance policies if a federal filing is required. It guarantees the minimum required protection for the public if the customer is deemed legally responsible for an accident.
  • BMC-34 Filing: Guarantees the required amount of Cargo Liability insurance is being carried.


Here is a list of common state forms:

  • Form E Filing: Certifies that a customer’s Liability insurance complies with the state’s financial responsibility laws. This form requlates intrastate trucking in the customer’s home state.
  • Form H Filing: Guarantees there is sufficient Cargo Liability insurance.
  • Some states require other filings for specific businesses or vehicle types operating withing their borders.


Here is a list of carrier types and definitions:

  • Common carrier: Someone who offers his or her services to the general public. This driver likely hauls cargo on highways across multiple states.
  • Contract carrier: Someone who has a contract with a specific shipper, such as Roadway.
  • Private carrier: Someone who works for a manufacturing company that hauls its own goods. This includes contractors who haul heavy equipment to perform jobs for their business.
  • Exempt carrier: This carrier type is not subject to the rules that apply to common carriers. Examples include businesses that haul household goods or agriculture products.


Complete the following applications and pay the application fees:

  • OP-1 or OP-1(P) form, the BOC-3 form
  • Make sure you have everything about the truck including the VIN, year, make, model, weight, etc.), your EIN, your business name details and license plate.
  • Once you complete the Motor Carrier Identification Report (MCS-150) and Safety Certification Application, you’ll receive your USDOT Numbr which you need to have a vehicle used in interstate commerce to move freight. This is when you will need to contact your insurance agent to update your policy.

There is a mandatory 10-business day dispute period that occurs after your application is posted to the Federal Register in which anyone can protest your authority. Once it ends, you’ll need to post proof of insurance and your BOC-3 form which assigns an agent or business in all 50 states to receive and forward legal documents on your behalf.

Your authority will be reviewed by the FMCSA. You’ll receive a letter from them when it’s approved, at which point you’ll start working on the rest of this list.

Secure your UCR permit.

Use the USDOT and MC Number to apply for the Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) system. UCR verifies active insurance coverage in the states you operate in. Appl for your permit and learn more about the UCR system.

Pay your HVUT.

The Heavy Vehicle Use Tax is an annual tax assessed on all heavy vehicles operating on public highways. Research Form 2290, and when you’re ready, download the OOIDA worksheet. This must be completed before you agree to the IRP (International Registration Plan.

Register for the IRP.

The International Registration Plan (IRP) is an agreement between the 48 contiguous states (and Canada) which provides the payment of licensing fees dependent upon the distance operated across all jurisdictions. It means you are licensed to participate in interstate transportation. The IRP website can help you complete this process. You must have an IRP account before you can set up an IFTA account.

Set up an IFTA account.

The International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) is an agreement between the 48 continguous states (and Canada) that simplifies fuel tax collection. It means you can travel between jurisdictions and ensures each state has a share of revenue to support roads and transporation. With an IFTA license, you just have to submit one fuel tax return every quarter to your base jurisdiction. Learn about IFTA, including how to contract your base jurisdiction to set up your account.

There are some circumstances that will require extra permits. There are some circumstances that will require extra permits. Kentucky, New Mexico, and New York require weight distance permits to operate, and Oregon requires a permit and a bond. You’ll need the Standard Carrier Alpha Code (SCAC) if you’re moving military, government, international, or intermodal loads.

Enroll in a Drug and Alcohol Testing Program

All motor carriers are required by the FMCSA and the DOT to have a negative drug test prior to hiring drivers or driving themselves. Learn more about the rules and regulations related to drug and alcohol testing on the FMCSA website. All supervisors of commercial drivers are required to complete two hours of controlled-substance training, and a Designated Employee Representative (DER) must be named who is authorized to immediately remove employees from duty in the event they cannot pass a drug or alcohol test. Get full details!

After the above is complete, you’ll be enrolled in the New Entrant Safety Assurance Program.

Within your first 18 months of doing business, you will have a mandatory “New Entrant” audit to ensure you’re compliant with federal regulations. To make sure you are, start keeping good records now.

Make sure you maintain:

  • Driver qualification files/employee records
  • Driver logs
  • Safety records
  • Hours of Service (HOS) records
  • Accident Reporting
  • Maintenance Records
  • All Drug and Alcohol Testing Program records and reports

Learn about the New Entrant Safety Assurance Program on the FMCSA website.

Although there are a lot of steps involved, just take them one at a time. Truckers and drivers make the switch to owner-operator every day.

If you don’t want to do this all by yourself, you can reach out to companies like:





Transportation Complainace Service

Pro Trucking Service

Trucking Office Trucking Management Solutions

Electronic Logging Devices

The electronic logging device (ELD) rule- Electronic Logging Devices replace paper logs for truckers. The FMCSA dictates which truckers need to maintain electronic logs, as well as which truckers can continue to use paper logs.

Congressionally mandated as a part of MAP-21 – is intended to help create a safer work environment for drivers, and make it easier and faster to accurately track, manage, and share records of duty status (RODS) data. An ELD synchronizes with a vehicle engine to automatically record driving time, for easier, more accurate hours of service (HOS) recording.

Find relevant information on how the ELD Rule impacts you and your organization:

My goal in putting this on my website is to help you get started. Use the sources I listed to get help. There are many more on the internet.

Your last step is to get your insurance. To save on your insurance, call us early in the process. We can save you time and money. Plus it will give me time to shop your insurance by the time your authority becomes active.

Get your insurance from us by calling (702) 541-0882.

Copyright © 2023 Get Help With Insurance – All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: